The Top 10 Household Dangers That Can Be Poisonous to Dogs-You Need to Know This

What is poisonous to dogs?

I ran across this very good information for dogs and thought I should share it. You may not have realized just what all can be poisonous to dogs. It seems everyone has heard not to give dogs chocolate.

And we’ve all heard stories about dogs dying from antifreeze poisoning. But other household products could could be potential poison to dogs.

Dogs have a tendency of trying to eat just about everything they come across. In most cases, this causes some slight discomfort. There are things, however, that are poison to dogs and that can be dangerous enough to cause death to your dog if he eats them.

Now I know how much you love your little fur babies. I can’t even imagine my life without them. I don’t even want to think about my dogs being poisoned by something just because I wasn’t paying attention.

Following is a brief list:

  1. Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him.
  2. Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is especially dangerous.
  3.  Bleach: As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to dogs. Keep all products containing bleach out of your dog’s reach.
  4.  Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog.
  5.  Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to dogs as well.
  6.  Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures..
  7.  Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category.
  8.  Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.
  9. Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.
  10.  Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy.

Symptoms of dog poisoning

Ingestion, inhaled or absorbed of poison substances can causes a wide range of symptoms such as:

  • mouth irritation
  • skin rash
  • lethargy
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • lack of appetite
  • drooling
  • staggering
  • hallucination causing over-reaction to sound or light
  • breathing difficulty
  • bleeding disorders
  • muscle tremor and rigidity
  • seizure
  • heart failure
  • kidney or liver problems
  • coma and death.
If you think your dog may have eaten any of these substances, or anything else that could poison him, call a vet immediately. It could save his life.

 

To your pets,

Roxanna Whittington

Saving  the world…..one pet at a time.


 

 

2 Comments On “The Top 10 Household Dangers That Can Be Poisonous to Dogs-You Need to Know This”

  1. And just to add to the list:
    Grapes, raisins, wine, grape pressings…..all forms cause kidney failure in dogs.
    Macadamia nuts are also toxic to dogs.
    Cockleburs….plants are a whole new category!

Comments are closed.